You must be logged in to view this section
The second larger country of the Caribbean after Cuba, the Dominican Republic is located in the island of Hipaniola. It occupies the third part of the Great Antilles archipielago. The western third of the island belongs to Haiti, that makes Hispaniola one of two Caribbean islands that are shared by two countries. The history starts back on VII Century, when the island was inhabited by the Tainos people, who came from the Bahamas, the Antilles and from South America, specifically from the Orinoco River area. The territory was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492, and was the first seat of Spanish colonial rule in the New World The city's complete name is Santo Domingo de Guzman. Despite the first European settlement come from 1493, the city was founded by Bartholomew Columbus, Christopher's brother, in 1496, as Nueva Isabela, named after the Queen of Spain, Isabel La Católica. Later, it was renamed Santo Domingo, in honour of Saint Dominic. The city was known as Spain's Gateway to the New World. In 1502, the city was destroyed by a hurricane and Governer Nicolás de Ovando rebuilt it. This original layout of the city can still be appreciated nowadays in the Colonial Zone, declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO, in 1990. The Colonial Zone, bordered by the Ozama River has an impressive collection of XVI Century buildings, that include the Fortaleza Ozama, built by the Spanish around 1502, and was designed to guard the entrance to the port of Santo Domingo and defend the city from seaborne enemies; the Alcázar de Colón, in the historic center of the Colonial Zone, was built by Diego Colón, the son of Christopher, between 1510 and 1512, when he became Viceroy of the island. It is the oldest viceregal houses of American, and houses the Museo Alcázar de Diego Colón, the most visited museum of Santo Domingo; the Parque Colón, that features a big sculpture of Christopher Columbus, named in his honour in 1887, after being previously named Plaza Mayor. Today, Santo Domingo is one of the world's most appreciated touristic locations, both for its large history and culture, but also for its lovely beaches, that overlook the majestic Caribbean Sea. CASA DE CAMPO, ALTOS DE CHAVON One of the most important resorts in Dominican Republic is Casa de Campo, in Altos de Chavon, Built on a plateau high above the meandering Chavon River and modeled after a 16-century Mediterranean village, this cultural center is home to artists’ studios, craft workshops, art galleries, restaurants and boutiques concealed behind coral stone buildings. It has three polo fields, and golf courts, being the most famous the so named Tooth of the Dog, which is placed as 25th. in the world. One of the biggest attractions is the 5,000 seat Grecian style amphitheater, inaugurated by no less than Frank SInatra, in 1982, followed by performances of worldwide renowned artists such as Charles Aznavour, Carlos Santana, Andrea Boccelli, Sting and Marc Anthony. It is also a very popular wedding location, as the church hosted many celebrities "I dos".